Many patients come to me seeking a flat stomach, but they aren’t sure whether liposuction or a tummy tuck is right for them. In Charlotte, NC, both procedures are extremely popular, and I perform them often. While they can both drastically improve the appearance of the abdomen, they do so in different ways. Deciding which is right for you will depend on whether you are more concerned with fat removal, muscle tightening, or both.
Liposuction: The Fat Remover
Liposuction is a plastic surgery procedure that removes subcutaneous fat using a small, suctioning tube (cannula). Liposuction is an excellent option for someone who is at or near their ideal body weight but who still struggles with certain areas of unwanted fat that don’t respond to diet or exercise. Some examples of areas that can be treated with liposuction include saddle bags, a muffin top or spare tire, bra-line or back fat, and inner-thigh fat.
At my practice, I offer 3 types of liposuction:
- Tumescent: Tumescent liposuction has been used for years to remove unwanted fat and is considered the “gold standard” in liposuction techniques.
- Power-assisted liposuction: Power-assisted liposuction (or PAL) involves using a vibrating hand piece to help break apart the fat cells more easily so less manual strength is needed. This helps minimize discomfort after surgery, and I use it for almost all liposuction procedures.
- SAFELipo: SAFELipo is a 3-step approach that can minimize the risk of lumpy or uneven results and shorten recovery time. I use this on every patient for best results.
Liposuction is most helpful for someone who wants to remove extra fat around their middle. If, however, you have sagging skin or have lost abdominal muscle tone, you may want to consider a tummy tuck.
Tummy Tuck: The Muscle Tightener
Tummy tuck surgery or abdominoplasty is a procedure that is specifically designed to tighten the muscles of the abdominal wall and remove excess skin that results from aging, weight loss, or child bearing. A tummy tuck narrows your waist and flattens your stomach to create a smooth and firm physique.
Tummy tuck is a popular option for women who have had children and are bothered by sagging skin around their waistline. In addition to combating the effects of pregnancy and childbirth, new research shows that tummy tuck surgery may actually help alleviate post-partum back pain and incontinence.
Tummy tuck surgery can be performed a number of ways to create customized results. I offer several innovative techniques for tummy tuck surgery that allow me to correct everything from minor skin sagging to heavy folds of skin that are left after dramatic weight loss.
The Best of Both Worlds
Many times, the best way to get a flat stomach and smooth contours is to combine liposuction and a tummy tuck. I frequently perform these two procedures together to remove fat and tighten the muscles in 1 operation. Doing so offers many benefits, including:
- Reduced exposure to anesthesia
- More complete, comprehensive results
- 1 recovery period as opposed to 2
- Reduced cost (paying once vs. twice for facility and surgeon’s fees)
If you are interested in learning more about how liposuction or a tummy tuck can help you get the stomach you’ve always wanted, please contact us today.